RÉPUBLIQUE DU SÉNÉGAL - DIRECTION DES AIRES MARINES COMMUNAUTAIRES PROTEGEES
Description of the institution that represents and lines of work
The entity is responsible for the conservation of marine and coastal biodiversity in the management of marine protected areas throughout the territory of Senegal. The lines of work focus on the warning and monitoring system in case of invasion (algal settlements, invasive species or toxic algae, influence on fish and shellfish).
Description of the work he performs within the MIMAR project.
The entity participates directly as an institution of third country beneficiary of the following activities:
- Characterization of maritime traffic and of existing species or commu- nities in docks, hulls, ballast water and sediments in the tanks of ships or oil rigs that reach the ports of the region.
- Monitoring of the biological communities (fauna and flora) settled in the interior and exterior of the port facilities determined the interactions that exist between these and the native species.
- Development of protocols for the control and surveillance of introduced exotic species, especially those of an invasive nature that affect the Natura 2000 Network.
- Identification of the species capable of developing toxic algal blooms (HABs, Harmfull algae Bloms) and their distribution in the region.
- Development of a surveillance, alert and coordinated monitoring protocol in the region, through the creation of an observatory.