REPUBLIC OF CAPE VERDE - ACOPESCA - Competent Authorities for Fisheries Produtos
Description of the institution that represents and lines of work
It is the competent authority for fisheries products with the mission of supporting Cape Verde's governing bodies and administrations in fisheries matters. He has experience in sanitary controls and certifications of fishing products in Cape Verde.
Description of the work he performs within the MIMAR project.
The entity participates directly as an institution of third country beneficiary of the following activities:
- Characterization of maritime traffic and of existing species or communities in docks, hulls, ballast water and sediments of ships tanks or oil platforms that reach the ports of the region.
- Monitoring of the biological communities (fauna and flora) settled in the interior and exterior of the port facilities, determining the interactions that exist between these and the native species.
- Development of surveillance protocols for the control and surveillance of introduced exotic species, especially those of an invasive nature that affect the Natura 2000 Network.
- Identification of the species capable of developing toxic algal blooms (HABs, Harmfull algae Bloms) and their distribution in the region.
- Study of the dynamics of the HABs and the mechanisms that originate them, determining the potential effect on human health or the marine ecosystem and habitats of the Natura 2000 Network.
- Development of a surveillance, alert and coordinated monitoring protocol in the region, through the creation of an observatory.