DESCRIPTION ITC / BIOTECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT THAT REPRESENTS AND LINES OF WORK
The Technological Institute of the Canary Islands (ITC) is a public company created by the Government of the Canary Islands in 1992, by Decree 139/1992 of July 30, attached to the Regional Ministry of Employment, Industry and Commerce of the regional government. The competences of the ITC are framed in the fields of Research, Development and Innovation, in the regional scope of the Canary Islands, with the aim of inspiring technological progress for the improvement of the conditions and quality of life of the social environment, and supporting the integral development of the Canary Islands through the execution of practices and projects related to R + D + i and support, advice and transfer of knowledge and technology (Know-how) to the private sector. The Technological Institute of the Canary Islands develops its activities and projects through the Research and Technological Development and Technological Innovation Divisions and has offices in Gran Canaria and Tenerife, in the areas of Renewable Energy, Environmental Analysis, Water Technologies, Engineering Mechanics, Software Engineering and Biotechnology. It also manages the Network of Business Promotion Units (UPE) with presence in all the islands of the Archipelago.
The main activity of the Biotechnology Department of the Technological Institute of the Canary Islands (ITC) focuses on:
- The development of experimental and demonstrative cultures of microalgae on an industrial scale and their processing systems,
- Development of optimal cultivation techniques for new native strains of microalgae,
- Of the increase of the profitability of the production in scales of insular territories in front of continental ones,
- From the study of the applicability of existing CO2 capture systems,
- From the development of new bioremediation systems,
- From the optimization of microalgae processing systems, optimize existing harvesting systems (preconcentration, filtration, decantation, centrifugation types, ...), as well as the optimization of dewatering systems (lifilization, atomization, drum- dryers, drying chambers at low temperature, ...),
As well as the support and scientific-technological support (with infrastructures and basic equipments) of production and industrial processing of microalgae to companies (incubated / housed) in the ITC (or in the vicinity) to enable, help and make the process technically and economically feasible initial and the start-up of this new industrial activity.
It is responsible for pooling and cooperating the large infrastructures, facilities and equipment, which belong to the ITC and which are required to develop this activity
- Supply plants of all types of water (hypersaline, seawater, brackish, sweet unchlorinated, supply, ...),
- Integral waste management and treatment system,
- Processing ship with all types of equipment (centrifuges of all types, pasteurizers, atomizers, ...) and registered health registration, 3.5 hectares of land available with the possibility to carry out its development,
- Scaling and parameterization laboratories,
DESCRIPTION OF THE WORK ITC PERFORMS WITHIN THE PROJECT.
The ITC (specifically the Department of Biotechnology) participates in Activity 2.2.1: Identification of the species capable of developing toxic algal blooms (HABs, Harmfull algae Blooms) and their distribution in the region, with the aim of improving and standardizing crops of different species of Gambierdiscus, susceptible to be responsible for human diseases such as ciguatera, with the biotechnological objective of producing molecules (toxins) for the improvement of the diagnosis of it. For this it is intended:
- To adapt exclusive spaces for the maintenance, growth and manipulation of the objective crops.
- Tests and tuning in different types of farming systems.
- Standardization of the optical culture conditions for the studied microalgae that allow a greater production of toxins.
- Tuning and standardization of scalability conditions.
- Tests and fine tuning of fast techniques that allow to monitor cell density and the production of toxins in crops.
- Days with invited experts on different systems of microalgae cultures.
- Manual of crop protocols (Spanish / French / Portuguese).